Natural Sun Care Creme
with Organic Calendula & Shea Butter
Gentle & effective, our chemical-free Sun Care Creme keeps delicate skin protected by creating a natural physical barrier to protect against the elements. Natural oils of shea butter, sesame seed, and jojoba oil offer added sun protection, while moisturizing and soothing sensitive skin. Our botanical blend of organic calendula, grapeseed, and green tea extract cool and soothe over-exposed skin. Water resistant, this formula is safe for children of all ages.
The ingredients are the product:
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 20%
water, helianthus annus* (sunflower seed oil), isoamyl cocoate, glycerin (vegetable), leuconostoc (radish root filtrate), calendula officinalis* pot marigold), hypericum perforatum* (St. John’s Wort) flowers, glyceryl stearate (vegetable emulsifier) sesamum indicum* (sesame) seed oil, butyrospermum parkii*(Shea Butter), cetyl alcohol, bentonite, simmondsia chinensis* (jojoba) seed oil, lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, pelargonium graveolens (geranium) oil, cymbopogon martini (palmarosa) oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, tocopherol, xanthan gum, vitis vinifera* (grape) seed extract, camellia oleifera* (green tea) extract
Apply liberally on exposed skin and reapply at least every 2 hours. Reapply after swimming or sweating. Reapply immediately after towel drying. For children under 6 months, please consult a physician.
- All of our Substance Sun Care products are the equivalent to an SPF 30 and are safe for infants 3 months and up
- It is always recommended to do a patch test before using
- Apply liberally on exposed skin
- Mineral sunscreens will often leave a white residue. This white residue is the active zinc oxide, which acts as a reflector to the sun’s rays. To reduce the whitening effect, rub in, until the whiteness dissipates
- Apply at least every 60-80 minutes and reapply after swimming or rigorous activity.
- Mineral-based sunscreens take immediate effect; there is no lapse time between application and effectiveness
- For sensitive skin, it is recommended to do a patch test by placing a small amount of our sun care cream on the back of the wrist. If redness appears, wash with soap and water and discontinue use
- If separation of product occurs, shake well, or knead tube to remix product before using
WARNINGS: For external use only. If rash occurs, discontinue use and consult a healthcare practitioner. When using this product, keep out of eyes. Rinse with water to remove. Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help right away.
SUN PROTECTION MEASURES: Spending time in the sun increases your risk of skin cancer and early skin aging. To decrease this risk, regularly use a sunscreen with a Broad Spectrum SPF value of 15 or higher, limit time in the sun, especially from 10 am-2 pm and wear protective clothing and sunglasses.
Calendula Flower: powerful skin healer; anti-inflammatory; anti-fungal; anti-microbial; astringent; good for irritated skin, burns and redness
Geranium Essential Oil: safe essential oil for baby; calming, relieves anxiety; antiseptic; healing; natural insect repelling properties; anti-inflammatory
Grape Seed Extract: anti-oxidant, healing, anti-inflammatory
Green Tea Extract: anti-oxidant
Lavender Essential Oil: calming, anti-septic, healing, helps to induce sleep, natural insect repelling properties, safe for babies
Shea Butter: humectant, highly moisturizing, natural sun screen
Zinc Oxide: sun block, protects against UVA/UVB rays, water resistant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial
What is SPF Factor and how does it work?
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. It’s a number that you can use to help determine how long you can stay in the sun before getting a sunburn.
The SPF is a multiplication factor. If you can stay out in the sun 15 minutes before burning, using a sunscreen with an SPF of 10 would allow you to resist getting a burn for 10 x longer or 150 minutes.
The SPF factor, however, is not a linear measure and is dependent on the skin type of the user. For example, an SPF of 30 only blocs 5% more UVB radiation than an SPF of 15. Another way to look at it is in terms of percentages: SPF 15 filters out approximately 93 percent of all incoming UVB rays. SPF 30 keeps out 97 percent and SPF 50 keeps out 98 percent.
In practice, for best protection, experts recommend using an SPF15 or SPF 30 as a higher factor does offer a significantly higher level of protection than an SPF of 30.
How should sunscreen be properly applied?
To ensure that you get the full SPF of a sunscreen, you need to apply 1 oz – for full body coverage. Studies show that most people apply only half to a quarter of that amount, which means the actual SPF they have on their body is lower than advertised. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important and it is recommended to re-apply sunscreens every 2 hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
What is the difference between a physical barrier vs a chemical barrier sunscreen?
A physical barrier sunscreen (such as our Sun Care for Baby) physically blocks the sun’s UV rays. These are often found in ingredients of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
Often, sun blocks containing these two ingredients have been messy and opaque. Substance Sun Care Cream, however, uses micro-ionized non-nano zinc oxide. This we feel is the safest & most effective option. It creates the same physical barrier but is more transparent, and less messy when rubbed in.
Physical barriers also have the added benefit over chemical sunscreen of blocking UVA rays. UVA rays penetrate deeper into the skin’s surface, increasing the risk of cellular skin damage. Most chemical sunscreens do not block UVA rays effectively. The best-known and proven UVA protection is provided by products that contain zinc oxide.
Furthermore, chemical sunscreens can be an irritant to sensitive skin. Zinc, on the other hand, has many
- The active ingredient of 20% micro-ionized zinc oxide acts as a physical barrier to protect against UVA and UVB rays
- Non-Nano and uncoated zinc oxide particles
- Natural sunblock offers broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection without harmful, skin-irritating chemicals found in most commercial sunscreen ingredients
- Provides protection for up to 80 minutes in the sun
- Equivalent to an SPF 30
- Water resistant, and safe for kids
- Shea Butter and Jojoba oil moisturize while offering added protection against the sun
- Calendula flowers soothe and heal sensitive skin
- Essential oil blend acts as a natural insect repellent
- Safe for children and babies