Baby Suncare Stick
0.65oz (18.4g), 28g (1oz)
with Calendula & Shea Butter
Chemical free our Baby Sun Care Stick protects delicate young skin against harmful UVA & UVB rays, by using non nano, uncoated zinc oxide.
Safe for children of all ages, our non-greasy formula moisturizes with nourishing oils of shea butter and jojoba oil while soothing calendula and vitamin E offer skin healing properties.
Water resistant and travel friendly, our baby sun care stick is easy to apply, especially on smaller patches of the face, lips, hands, nose and ears.
The ingredients are the product:
Active Ingredients: zinc oxide 20% Non-medical ingredients: helianthus annuus* (sunflower seed oil), cera alba (beeswax), ricinus communis (castor oil), caprylic/capric triglyceride (from coconut oil), butyrospermum parkii* (shea butter), calendula officinalis* (pot marigold), hypericum perforatum* (St. John’s Wort), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba oil), sesamum indicum* (sesame seed oil), tocopherol (vitamin E)
- Our Baby Sun Care Cream is the equivalent to an SPF 30 and is safe for infants 3 months and up. Please note it is always recommended to do a patch test before using
- Apply liberally on exposed skin, it is recommended to use 2mg/cm2 – size of a penny
- Mineral sunscreens will often leave a white residue. This white residue is the active zinc oxide, which acts as a reflector to the sun’s rays. To reduce the whitening effect, rub in, until the whiteness dissipates.
- Reapply after swimming, or rigorous activity which causes sweating
- Mineral based sunscreens take immediate effect; there is no lapse time between application and effectiveness
- For sensitive skin, it is recommended to do a patch test by placing a small amount of our sun care cream on the back of the wrist. If redness appears, wash with soap and water and discontinue use.
- If separation of product occurs, shake well, or knead tube to remix product before using.
Calendula Flower: powerful skin healer; anti-inflammatory; anti-fungal; anti-microbial; astringent; good for irritated skin, burns and redness
Evening Primrose Oil: high in EFA (Essential Fatty Acids); anti-inflammatory; anti-oxidant
Lavender Essential Oil: calming, anti-septic, healing, helps to induce sleep, natural insect repelling properties, safe for babies
Lavender Flower: soothing, skin tonic; anti-bacterial; healing, calming
Oats: soothing; stops itching; healing; anti-inflammatory, calming to skin irritated skin
Palma Rosa Essential Oil: uplifting; prevents scar tissue from forming; reduces scar tissue
Shea Butter: humectant, highly moisturizing, natural sun screen
Wheat Germ Oil: high in vitamin A, B, D and E; anti-oxidant, rich in proteins and lecithin
Zinc Oxide: sun block, protects against UVA/UVB rays, water resistant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial
What is SPF Factor and how does it work?
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. Itâs a number that you can use to help determine how long you can stay in the sun before getting a sunburn.
The SPF is a multiplication factor. If you can stay out in the sun 15 minutes before burning, using a sunscreen with an SPF of 10 would allow you to resist getting a burn for 10 x longer or 150 minutes.
The SPF factor, however, is not a linear measure and is dependent on the skin type of the user. For example, an SPF of 30 only blocs 5% more UVB radiation than an SPF of 15. Another way to look at it is in terms of percentages: SPF 15 filters out approximately 93 percent of all incoming UVB rays. SPF 30 keeps out 97 percent and SPF 50 keeps out 98 percent.
In practice, for best protection, experts recommend using a SPF15 or SPF 30 as a higher factor does offer a significantly higher level of protection than an SPF of 30.
How should a sunscreen be properly applied?
To ensure that you get the full SPF of a sunscreen, you need to apply 1 oz for full body coverage. Studies show that most people apply only half to a quarter of that amount, which means the actual SPF they have on their body is lower than advertised. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important and it is recommended to re-apply sunscreens every 2 hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
What is the difference between a physical barrier vs a chemical barrier sunscreen?
A physical barrier sunscreen (such as our Sun Care for Baby) physically blocks the sun’s UV rays. These are often found in ingredients of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
Often, sun blocks containing these two ingredients have been messy and opaque. Substance Sun Care Cream however, uses micro ionized non nano zinc oxide. This we feel is the safest & most effective option. It creates the same physical barrier, but is more transparent, and less messy when rubbed in.
Physical barriers also have the added benefit over chemical sunscreen of blocking UVA rays. UVA rays penetrate deeper into the skinâs surface, increasing the risk of cellular skin damage. Most chemical sunscreens do not block UVA rays effectively. The best-known and proven UVA protection is provided by products that contain zinc oxide.
Furthermore chemical sunscreens can be an irritant to sensitive skin. Zinc, on the other hand, has many beneficial properties including being anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory; beneficial to sensitive, delicate skin.
Is your Sun Block Non-Nano? What does this mean?
Nano refers to the particle size of a substance, in this case, zinc oxide. A Nano particle is one which is below 100 nm (Nano meter). Concern over Nano particles has been based on these particles penetrating the skin and absorbing into the bloodstream and organs. Our Sun Care products do not use Nano zinc oxide. The particle size we use is above 100 nm and is un-coated. The zinc stays topically on the skin acting as a barrier, reflecting the harmful UVA & UVB rays of the sun.
How do you test for nano-particles?
Our zinc particles are tested using a mesh (or screen) similar to a sieve in which the zinc is tested for its correct particle size. The larger particles do not go through the mesh while the smaller nano-particles do.
- Active ingredient of 20% micro-ionized zinc oxide acts as a physical barrier, to protect against UVA and UVB rays
- Non Nano and uncoated zinc oxide
- Unscented and safe for children of all ages
- Natural sunblock offers broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection without harmful, skin irritating chemicals found most commercial sunscreen ingredients
- Provides protection for up to 80 minutes in the sun
- Equivalent to an SPF 30
- Water resistant, and safe for kids
- Moisturizing with oils of shea butter and jojoba oil, offer added protection against the sun
- Calendula flowers soothe and heal sensitive skin
- Travel friendly, easy to apply